Monday, April 2, 2012

Breathing Easier

I'm breathing easier this evening.  And it's because, of course, Patty is breathing easier too. 


The transition from the ventilator to breathing on her own was not completely seamless; she did show some signs of having some throat discomfort today, as if she were trying to cough something up that was choking her.  We thought it was phlegm at first, but the nurses tried to suction that out, and told us there wasn't much phlegm to suction, so phlegm wasn't the problem.  By a couple hours later her coughing had diminished a lot, and she didn't seem to be having much difficulty.


So, signs were good when we left this evening after our visit:  less phlegm; good oxygen levels in her blood, even better blood pressure than she's had for the past several days; heart rate more stable, too.  And I thought the energy behind her coughing seemed stronger than she'd been able to muster the energy for before.  


In between this noon's visit and this evening's, I spent about two and a half hours getting a refund of about $20 for some parts that I'd purchased at a Honda dealership near the hospital.  It turned out to be the biggest challenge of the day for me.  


When I'd purchased the parts, I didn't know quite what I needed, so I showed them the engine and had them talk on the phone to the mechanic as well.  When I wanted to pay with a credit card, I was told that if I paid that way I wouldn't be able to exchange the purchase or get a refund back later using a card, so needed to get cash to complete the transaction.  So, a ten or fifteen minute rip was needed to the nearest ATM.  When I paid, I thought the cashier assured me that I'd be able to get a refund.  


Well, so much for thinking I understand what people are saying here.  In short, there wasn't really a "short of it".  But I did get the money back, probably more as a result of being obstinate than being patient.  But there was some patience involved, and when all was said and done I told the manager that if I bought a new car, I'd buy it there.  Well, I might have overstated that, but I left with a feeling of goodhearted-ness (jai dee).  

No comments:

Post a Comment